Connect with us

Politics

Bulgarian President on the War in Ukraine: It’s Time for Diplomacy

Published

on

bulgarian-president-on-the-war-in-ukraine:-it’s-time-for-diplomacy

This was stated today by the President of Bulgaria Rumen Radev at a lecture at the University of National and World Economy (UNWE) in Sofia, dedicated to the prospects and challenges facing young people. The head of state answered questions from students.

A student asked the president about the “disturbing political situation” in the country and whether he thinks people are hoping that the head of state will take measures and change it. “I get asked this question wherever I go. I do everything I can within the framework of my powers as president. This question saddens and worries me. This hope and expectation in people means that trust in the institutions that are actually supposed to do this work has been exhausted,” Radev replied.

The issue is not about saving one person, the issue is for everyone, especially young people, to realize their responsibility that the future is in your hands, the president also said.

Diplomacy should come before the bombs and missiles, not after them to extinguish the consequences, Radev said, after being asked about the war in Ukraine and the Middle East.

I am convinced that hostilities can be stopped if there is a clear political will and diplomacy is given the go-ahead, and not just ambitious politicians and generals. The main value of diplomacy is that it should prevent conflicts. In recent years, we have increasingly violated these principles, and this is because, in my opinion, life has ceased to be a basic human value, the head of state commented.

So far, only two instruments have been activated – the military and the economic, but diplomacy has remained in the background. Even Ukraine, in the first months after the start of the war, passed a law prohibiting negotiations with the other side. You can see what happened now – Ukraine itself already wants diplomacy and negotiations, said Radev.

According to the president, an infinite number of wrong strategic decisions were made in the war in Ukraine, and the price is already almost a million killed and maimed. The first strategic mistake was made by the Russian side – they underestimated the will of the Ukrainian people to resist and fight for their freedom, the head of state commented.

The president pointed out as strategic mistakes the expectations that the Russian economy would collapse under the pressure of sanctions, as well as the claims that Russia had run out of missiles and shells. Now the NATO Secretary General has also admitted that Russia produces three to four times more ammunition and military equipment, said Rumen Radev.

It is time for diplomacy. I respect one of the greatest diplomats of the 20th century, Kissinger, who in the first months came up with a clear plan – “yes, these territories will remain, but the rest of Ukraine will have the right to be a free, democratic state, a member of the European Union and NATO.” Kissinger was totally criticized, and now everyone is returning to his plan, the president said.

Source: Trud online.

Photo: President of Bulgaria Official website.

Note: Along with Le Duc Thọ, Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize on December 10, 1973, for their work in negotiating the ceasefires contained in the Paris Peace Accords on “Ending the War and Restoring Peace in Vietnam”, signed the previous January.

Author

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

MSCA awards €608.6 million for doctoral programmes

Published

on

msca-awards-e608.6-million-for-doctoral-programmes

MSCA awards €608.6 million for doctoral programmes

DISCLAIMER: Information and opinions reproduced in the articles are the ones of those stating them and it is their own responsibility. Publication in The European Times does not automatically means endorsement of the view, but the right to express it.

DISCLAIMER TRANSLATIONS: All articles in this site are published in English. The translated versions are done through an automated process known as neural translations. If in doubt, always refer to the original article. Thank you for understanding.

Newsdesk

– Advertisement –spot_img

– Advertisement –

The European Commission has announced the results of the 2024 Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) Doctoral Networks call.

The Commission will fund a total of 149 excellent doctoral programmes with €608.6 million to train over 1800 doctoral candidates in and outside academia.

€536.9 million will be awarded to 133 standard Doctoral programmes, to train PhD candidates and develop their skills.

Funding includes also €26 million for 8 Industrial Doctoral programmes to train PhD candidates and develop their skills outside academia, including in industry and business. Doctoral candidates will also benefit from joint industry-academia supervision.

An additional €33 million will be allocated to 8 Joint Doctoral programmes, which promote joint selection, training and supervision leading to joint or multiple doctoral degrees.

The European Research Executive Agency (REA) received 1,417 applications for this call. This means a success rate of 10.6 %.

Close collaboration beyond academia

These doctoral programmes are implemented by international partnerships, involving 9335 organisations in 130 countries in the EU, Horizon Europe associated countries and beyond. 4725 of these are private for-profit entities.

Selected projects are coordinated by organisations in 18 countries.

Source link

More from the author

– EXCLUSIVE CONTENT –spot_img

Author

Continue Reading

Politics

36 000 free EU travel passes for 18-year-olds

Published

on

36-000-free-eu-travel-passes-for-18-year-olds

The European Times

© FRVS+MPCP 2022. The European Times® News is registered as an EU Trademark. All rights reserved. The European Times® and the logo of The European Times® are EU trademarks registered by FRVS+MPCP.

Members/Partners of

GNS Press - The European Times

About Us

Popular Category

DISCLAIMER OPINIONS: The opinions of the authors or reproduced in the articles are the ones of those stating them and it is their own responsibility. Should you find any incorrections you can always contact the newsdesk to seek a correction or right of replay.

DISCLAIMER TRANSLATIONS: All articles in this site are published in English. The translated versions are done through an automated process known as neural translations. If in doubt, always refer to the original article. Thank you for understanding.

DISCLAIMER PHOTOS: We mostly used photos images that are readily available online, from free sources, or from the people promoting the news. If by any chance it happens that we have used one of your copyrighted photos, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will take it down without question. We do not make profits as this is a not for profit project to give voice to the voiceless while giving them a platform to be informed also of general news, and it is completely free.

Editor Picks

Author

Continue Reading

Politics

EU launches humanitarian air bridge after Myanmar earthquake

Published

on

eu-launches-humanitarian-air-bridge-after-myanmar-earthquake

The European Times

© FRVS+MPCP 2022. The European Times® News is registered as an EU Trademark. All rights reserved. The European Times® and the logo of The European Times® are EU trademarks registered by FRVS+MPCP.

Members/Partners of

GNS Press - The European Times

About Us

Popular Category

DISCLAIMER OPINIONS: The opinions of the authors or reproduced in the articles are the ones of those stating them and it is their own responsibility. Should you find any incorrections you can always contact the newsdesk to seek a correction or right of replay.

DISCLAIMER TRANSLATIONS: All articles in this site are published in English. The translated versions are done through an automated process known as neural translations. If in doubt, always refer to the original article. Thank you for understanding.

DISCLAIMER PHOTOS: We mostly used photos images that are readily available online, from free sources, or from the people promoting the news. If by any chance it happens that we have used one of your copyrighted photos, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will take it down without question. We do not make profits as this is a not for profit project to give voice to the voiceless while giving them a platform to be informed also of general news, and it is completely free.

Editor Picks

Author

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 EuroTimes