Connect with us

Travel

Malaysia may restart search for flight MH370 10 years after it disappeared with 239 people onboard

Published

on

An American company has offered to look for the plane on a ‘no find, no fee’ basis.

Malaysia may renew the search for MH370, a decade after the flight disappeared

Malaysian officials said on Sunday that a US company that tried to find the plane in 2018 has proposed a fresh search in the southern Indian Ocean. This is where the Malaysia Airlines plane is believed to have crashed a decade ago.

At a rememberance event held by members of the missing passengers, Malaysia’s Transport Minister Anthony Loke said he would speak to Texas-based marine robotics firm Ocean Infinity about its latest “no find, no fee” proposal.

The government has long said it would not support another search without new leads on the plane’s location.

If the evidence is credible, he said, he will seek Cabinet’s approval to sign a new contract to resume the search.

“The government is steadfast in our resolve to locate MH370,” Loke told a memorial event marking the 10th anniversary of the disappearance of the jet. “We really hope the search can find the plane and provide truth to the next-of-kin.”

Loke’s response sparked tears of joy from some family members at the memorial, held in a mall in a Kuala Lumpur suburb.

“I’m on top of the world,” said Jacquita Gomes, whose husband was a flight attendant on the plane. She said she is thankful that she may now have a chance for full closure and to say a final goodbye.

“We have been on a roller coaster for the last 10 years. … If it is not found, I hope that it will continue with another search,” she said.

What happened to flight MH370?

The Boeing 777 plane vanished from radar shortly after taking off on 8 March 2014. It was carrying 239 people, mostly Chinese nationals, on a flight from Malaysia’s capital Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Satellite data showed the plane deviated from its flight path to head over the southern Indian Ocean, where it is believed to have crashed.

The tragedy sparked moves to bolster aviation safety.

What have previous searches for MH370 shown?

Soon after the disapperance, an expensive multinational search failed to turn up any clues, although debris washed ashore on the east African coast and Indian Ocean islands.

A private search in 2018 by Ocean Infinity also found nothing. V.P.R. Nathan, a member of the Voice MH370 next-of-kin group, said Ocean Infinity initially planned a search last year but it was delayed by the delivery of a new fleet. It is now on track to resume the hunt, he said.

Ocean Infinity CEO Oliver Punkett told the New Straits Times that the company had improved its technology since 2018.

“We now feel in a position to be able to return to the search for MH370,” he told the English-language daily. “We’ve been working with many experts, some outside of Ocean Infinity, to continue analyzing the data in the hopes of narrowing the search area down to one in which success becomes potentially achievable.”

Loke declined to reveal the fee proposed by Ocean Infinity if it finds the plane, saying it is subject to negotiation. He said cost is not an issue and that he doesn’t foresee any hindrances for the search.

“No matter if it is 10 years, 20 years or more, as long as we are still alive … we will not cease to press for the truth. We believe the truth will eventually come to light,” said Bai Zhong, from China, whose wife was on the plane.

Author

  • Daniela Daecher is a twenty-something bookworm and coffee addict with a passion for geeking out over sci fi, tv, movies, and books. In 2013 she completed her BA in English with a specialization in Linguistics. In 2014 she completed her MA in Linguistics, focusing on the relationship between language and communication in written form. She currently lives in Munich, Germany.

Continue Reading

Travel

UK ETA travel permit: British dual nationals flag issues with application system

Published

on

The UK’s Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) system has officially expanded to European travellers.

Starting 2 April 2025, all EU (except Irish nationals), EEA, and Swiss citizens need ETA approval to enter the UK.

The system became mandatory for travellers from the US, Canada and Australia on 8 January 2025, following its rollout last November for nationals of Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

To obtain the visa waiver, which costs £10 (€12) from today or £16 (€19) from 9 April, travellers need to complete an online process – but some British citizens with dual nationality are already flagging issues.

How to apply for the UK’s ETA visa waiver

Travellers can either use the official mobile app, which can be downloaded from the UK government website, or apply online here.

To complete the application, you need the passport you’ll be travelling on, an email address and a credit card, debit card, Apple Pay or Google Pay. You will have to answer a set of suitability questions. You don’t need to enter your travel details.

The government advises applying at least three working days before your trip.

You can delete the app when you’ve finished applying. Your ETA will be linked to your passport digitally, and you will not need to show anything else when you enter the UK.

Though it seems pretty simple, the application process has left a handful of British dual nationals confused about whether they need to apply for the visa waiver or not.

ETA application issues for British dual nationals

In theory, British citizens with dual nationality do not need ETA and should be able to travel to the UK on whatever passport they choose.

But confusion has arisen for those who don’t have a British passport because theirs is expired, lost, or they were never issued with one.

If they choose to travel on their EU passport, the process of applying for ETA – and whether it is necessary – remains unclear.

The ETA application form asks travellers to declare any other nationalities, but the drop-down menu does not give the option to select ‘British citizen’.

Should British dual nationals continue with their application without declaring their ‘secondary’ nationality, they would theoretically be forced to give misinformation about their dual nationality.

Euronews Travel posed the question to an ETA advisor from the Home Office on their web chat.

The advisor refused to give guidance about not declaring British nationality on the ETA form. They stated that if you are a dual citizen with British/Irish citizenship, you do not need an ETA.

However, “you prove your permission to travel using your valid British/Irish passport or other passport containing a certificate of entitlement to the right of abode in the UK.”

When asked what to do if the traveller is not in possession of any of these documents, the advisor responded, “You either need to apply for a British passport or a certificate of entitlement”.

Renewing a UK passport from overseas costs £101 (€123), while a certificate of entitlement comes with a £550 (€658) fee. Both application processes take several weeks.

Euronews Travel has reached out to the Home Office for official guidance.

Author

  • Daniela Daecher is a twenty-something bookworm and coffee addict with a passion for geeking out over sci fi, tv, movies, and books. In 2013 she completed her BA in English with a specialization in Linguistics. In 2014 she completed her MA in Linguistics, focusing on the relationship between language and communication in written form. She currently lives in Munich, Germany.

Continue Reading

Travel

Iceland’s Blue Lagoon spa and nearby town evacuated due to volcanic eruption

Published

on

Flames and smoke shot through the air as the volcanic fissure opened near the town of Grindavik.

A volcano began erupting in southwestern Iceland on Tuesday as tourists at the nearby Blue Lagoon and residents of local communities were evacuated.

Flames and smoke shot through the air as a fissure opened near the town of Grindavík, about 50 kilometres southwest of the capital, Reykjavik, where roughly 40 homes have been evacuated, according to national broadcaster RUV.

Residents mostly vacated the community, located on the Reykjanes Peninsula, in 2023 when the volcano came to life after lying dormant for 800 years.

A swarm of small earthquakes began at around 6:30am local time on 1 April, similar to previous eruptions. The eruption just north of the protective barrier near Grindavík then began at 9:45am, according to Iceland’s Met Office (IMO).

Warning sirens started to sound when the orange-red fissure reached the town’s defence walls at around 10am. IMO has said that the fissure is now around 700 metres long, and “it cannot be ruled out that it may continue to open further south.”

Iceland sits above a volcanic hotspot in the North Atlantic and, on average, sees one eruption every four to five years.

Experts have warned that volcanic activity in the Reykjanes peninsula has entered a new era, with the frequency of eruptions having surged. This is the 11th such event to have occurred since 2021, when this new eruption period began.

Iceland’s Blue Lagoon closed until further notice

The Blue Lagoon is one of Iceland’s biggest tourist attractions. Authorities evacuated guests from the geothermal spa, moving them to nearby hotels when it became clear an eruption was imminent.

It will remain closed through 1 April, and the situation will be assessed later on, according to a message posted on the Blue Lagoon’s website.  All guests with bookings during this temporary closure will be contacted.

A ‘red alert’ has been issued for the town of Grindavík, and the area around it is closed off. It will remain closed until further notice.

Travellers have been asked to respect the closures and instructions from local authorities and to stay away while conditions are being assessed, according to Safe Travel Iceland.

During previous eruptions, tourists and locals keen to see the majestic event first-hand have been repeatedly warned to stay away from Reykjanes.

Though it is yet to be updated for the most recent eruption, the UK’s FCDO says eruptions and earthquakes are common in Iceland due to the country’s nature geography.

“In the event of an eruption or wider seismic activity follow the latest advice issued by the authorities,” it says. It adds that travellers should regularly check for alerts and advice from the Icelandic Tourism Board, Icelandic Met Office, Safe Travel Iceland and the Almannavarnir Facebook Page.

The effects of the eruption are currently localised and have not caused any problems for the nearby Keflavík airport- Iceland’s main international airport.

Though ash clouds from previous volcanic eruptions in Iceland have had disrupted international air travel, this one is not expected to do so.

Author

  • Daniela Daecher is a twenty-something bookworm and coffee addict with a passion for geeking out over sci fi, tv, movies, and books. In 2013 she completed her BA in English with a specialization in Linguistics. In 2014 she completed her MA in Linguistics, focusing on the relationship between language and communication in written form. She currently lives in Munich, Germany.

Continue Reading

Travel

What is the ETA? European travellers need €12 entry permit to visit the UK starting this week

Published

on

Read our full guide to the UK’s new Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA): who needs it, how long it’s valid and how to apply.

The UK’s Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) system has officially expanded to European travellers.

Starting 2 April 2025, all European visitors will need ETA approval – or, for some non-EU nationals, a visa – to enter the UK.

The system became mandatory for travellers from the US, Canada and Australia on 8 January 2025, following its rollout last November for nationals of Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the UAE.

Read on for details on cost, validity and how to get it.

What is the ETA?

The ETA replaces the single-use Electronic Visa Waiver (EVW) scheme, offering a lower cost option with multi-entry validity.

The UK government notes that it is not a visa and does not permit entry into the UK. Rather, it authorises a person to travel to the UK.

The ETA is now required for all eligible nationalities. You can find the full list of countries here.

How do I apply for an ETA to enter the UK?

Most visitors will be able to apply using a mobile app and can expect a decision emailed within three days.

Everyone travelling needs to apply, including babies and children, but you can apply for other people.

The UK government says its app is the quickest and easiest way to apply for an ETA. You can download the ETA app from the UK government website.

If you cannot download the app, you can also apply online here.

To complete the application, make sure you have on hand the passport you’ll be travelling on, an email address and a credit card, debit card, Apple Pay or Google Pay. You will have to answer a set of suitability questions. You don’t need to enter your travel details.

You can delete the app when you’ve finished applying. Your ETA will be linked to your passport digitally, and you will not need to show anything else when you enter the UK.

When to apply for your ETA

The government says: “You must apply for an ETA before you travel to the UK. You can travel to the UK while waiting for a decision.”

Considering most applicants will get a decision within three days, it can be assumed you should apply at least three ahead of travelling to the UK, though you can do it much further in advance.

How much does the UK ETA cost?

Like the Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA) in the US, a fee is attached to the application process.

The ETA costs £10 (approximately €12 at the time of writing), rising to £16 (€19) on 9 April 2025.

How long is the ETA valid?

An ETA lasts for two years. You do not need to apply again during this time.

You can travel to the UK as many times as you want during the period of validity, but you cannot stay for longer than six months on one trip. Check the UK government website for more details on what you can and cannot do on an ETA.

Note that you will need to apply for a new ETA if you get a new passport, as your ETA is linked to it.

Will I need a visa to enter the UK?

As mentioned above, the ETA isn’t a visa, but it does grant permission to enter the country.

All visitors who don’t currently require a visa will need to get an ETA before they travel. This includes those who do not currently need to submit any form of application to visit the UK. US, Canadian, Australian and European citizens need an ETA even for short stays or transiting through the UK, for example.

Travellers from countries that don’t have visa-free entry agreements with the UK will still have to apply for the correct visa and an ETA.

If you don’t apply before your trip, the government says you could be fined, though no further details have been given about this.

You still need to apply if you are transiting through the UK – even if you aren’t going through border control.

The ETA allows you to come to the UK for six months for tourism, visits to family and friends, business or short term study.

You can also get an ETA instead of a visa if you are coming to the UK for up to three months on the Creative Worker visa concession or coming to the UK for a permitted paid engagement. Outside of these conditions, you can’t use an ETA to do paid or unpaid work for a UK company or as a self-employed person.

Who does not need an ETA?

British and Irish citizens, people who already have a visa or permission to live, work or study in the UK, those travelling with a British overseas territories citizen passport and people who live in Ireland and are travelling from Ireland, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man don’t need to apply for an ETA.

Why is the UK introducing the ETA scheme?

The ETA is part of the UK’s plan to digitise its borders at UK airports by the end of 2025.

The scheme is intended to reduce queues at the border, “helping to speed up legitimate journeys to the UK”.

Facial recognition technology could be used to make these “contactless corridors” possible, British newspaper The Times reports. It would require international travellers to submit biographic and biometric details, like photos of their faces through the new Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) scheme before they fly.

Author

  • Daniela Daecher is a twenty-something bookworm and coffee addict with a passion for geeking out over sci fi, tv, movies, and books. In 2013 she completed her BA in English with a specialization in Linguistics. In 2014 she completed her MA in Linguistics, focusing on the relationship between language and communication in written form. She currently lives in Munich, Germany.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 EuroTimes

Exit mobile version