Connect with us

Travel

At least six dead after tourist submarine sinks in Egypt’s Red Sea

Published

on

at-least-six-dead-after-tourist-submarine-sinks-in-egypt’s-red-sea

FILE: Rescuers wait on the beach of Marsa Alam, Egypt, 25 November 2024

FILE: Rescuers wait on the beach of Marsa Alam, Egypt, 25 November 2024 Copyright AP Photo

Copyright AP Photo

Published on Updated

Share this articleClose Button

Copy/paste the article video embed link below:Copy to clipboardCopied

The vessel went down on Thursday after setting off from the harbour in the tourist promenade area in the coastal city of Hurghada.

At least six people have died and nine have been injured after a tourist submarine carrying 45 people sank in Egypt’s Red Sea, authorities said on Thursday.

The vessel went down after setting off from the harbour in the tourist promenade area in the coastal city of Hurghada. The sub was heading for an underwater tour of local coral reefs.

The Russian Embassy in Egypt said in a post on Facebook Thursday that all of the tourists on the submarine “Sindbad,” which operated from a hotel of the same name, were Russian nationals. The embassy added that four have been confirmed dead, while it awaits further information on others.

The death toll was later reported as five, of which two are children, according to Russia’s state-run agency Tass.

Emergency crews were able to rescue 38 people, according to the Russian consul in Hurghada.

It was not clear if any crew members or tourists from other countries were among the casualties or what caused the sub to sink. According to reports, the Sindbad has a total capacity of 50.

It’s not the first incident involving tourist boats sinking in the Red Sea. In November last year, a tourist boat called the Sea Story sank, leaving 11 dead or missing and 35 survivors.

Go to accessibility shortcuts

Author

  • Daniela Daecher

    Daniela Daecher is a twenty-something bookworm and coffee addict with a passion for geeking out over sci fi, tv, movies, and books. In 2013 she completed her BA in English with a specialization in Linguistics. In 2014 she completed her MA in Linguistics, focusing on the relationship between language and communication in written form. She currently lives in Munich, Germany.

Continue Reading

Travel

Is it safe to travel to Thailand and is Bangkok airport open? Latest advice after Myanmar earthquake

Published

on

European governments have updated their travel advice for tourists in the area and with upcoming trips.

A 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck Myanmar at midday local time on 28 March, sending violent tremors across Thailand and as far as China.

The jolt caused a skyscraper to crumble in the Thai capital Bangkok, causing three deaths and leaving 81 people still missing under the rubble.

European governments have updated their travel advice for tourists in Thailand and with upcoming trips. Here’s what you need to know about safety and travel insurance.

State of emergency declared in six regions in Myanmar

The earthquake, whose epicentre was near the city of Mandalay in Myanmar, has caused dozens of buildings to collapse. Its shallow depth of 10 metres amplified the ground-level impact.

A 6.4 magnitude aftershock was also felt 12 minutes later near the city, the US Geological Survey reported, with tremors being felt as far away as Laos, Bangladesh and China.

Footage reportedly filmed inside Mandalay airport shows people running through dust-filled hallways and huddled on the floor outside the building for safety.

In the town of Taungoo in Myanmar, the partial collapse of a mosque killed two people, according to Reuters.

Local media reports that at least two people have died and 20 have been injured after a hotel crumbled in Aungban in the south of the country.

There are likely many more casualties across the country, but its volatile political situation under a military-run government means journalists have restricted access and reports from the ground are difficult to verify.

A state of emergency has been declared in six regions and states in Myanmar by authorities.

In Bangkok, the tower block that came down was under construction. A rescue worker said seven people had been found alive but 81 people are still missing.

Authorities have reportedly received 169 calls about damage to buildings in the Thai capital. It has been declared a ‘disaster area’.

Hundreds of residents and tourists have been evacuated to the streets from high-rise buildings and hotels, while there are reports of water sloshing out of swimming pools in several parts of the city.

Is it safe to travel to Thailand?

Thailand is a tourism hotspot which is seeing a spike in visitors after the HBO series The White Lotus was set in a resort in the country.

After the earthquake rocked the capital Bangkok, urban rail and metro systems were temporarily closed and are expected to resume services on Saturday.

Bangkok’s Suvarnabhumi airport was briefly shut down in the immediate aftermath but has now reopened, with flights operating normally. Thailand’s other major airports have not experienced disruption.

Local authorities have advised the public to avoid high-rise buildings, which crowd the densely populated city.

The UK’s Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) has updated its travel advice for Thailand.

“If you’re in the area or planning to travel there, follow the advice of the local authorities or your tour operator and monitor local media,” it urges travellers.

Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has updated its security status for Thailand to ‘high degree of caution’.

“We encourage citizens to follow the instructions of local authorities in the event of an emergency,” it has said.

There is also ongoing advice (unrelated to the earthquake) from the FCDO against all but essential travel to parts of south Thailand near the Thailand-Malaysia border.

This includes the Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat Provinces and the southern Songkhla Province south of the A43 road between Hat Yai and Sakom and south of the train line which runs between Hat Yai and Padang Besar.

FCDO also advises against all but essential travel on the Hat Yai to Padang Besar train line that runs through these provinces. This is due to regular attacks in these areas by the border with Malaysia.

Is it safe to travel to Myanmar?

The FCDO has also issued updated advice for travellers in Myanmar, stating that the epicentre is in the Sagaing region near Mandalay, but other areas may also be affected.

“Mandalay airport is reportedly closed. There may be several strong after-shocks.

“If you’re in the area or planning to travel there, follow the advice of the local authorities and monitor local media.”

Am I covered by travel insurance if I go ahead with my trip to Thailand?

The UK foreign office warns that your travel insurance could be invalidated if you travel against its advice. This means going to areas where it advises against all but essential travel.

As it has not issued a ‘no-go’ warning for earthquake-affected zones, you are not automatically entitled to a refund if you cancel your trip – referred to as ‘disinclination to travel’.

Reimbursement is only likely if your flight is cancelled by the airline or your accommodation is closed due to the earthquake.

If you have booked with a travel agent or tour operator, contact the company directly to understand your options.

“If you are travelling to Thailand over the next few days, speak to your airline or travel operator in the first instance. It may be that some regions of Thailand will be deemed unsafe to travel, in which case airlines will cancel flights, but disruption is likely to be localised so it will depend on which region you are travelling to,” says Ernesto Suarez, CEO of travel insurance providers Gigasure.

“When disruption is caused by natural disasters or circumstances outside of an airline’s control, passengers are normally allowed to change their booking, but you may not be entitled to any additional compensation.

Some insurance policies include natural disaster cover for an event that prevents travellers from reaching their holiday destination. You should read the terms and conditions carefully and talk to your provider for advice.

Author

  • Daniela Daecher

    Daniela Daecher is a twenty-something bookworm and coffee addict with a passion for geeking out over sci fi, tv, movies, and books. In 2013 she completed her BA in English with a specialization in Linguistics. In 2014 she completed her MA in Linguistics, focusing on the relationship between language and communication in written form. She currently lives in Munich, Germany.

Continue Reading

Travel

Cyprus is funding desalination plants for hotels to tackle tourism’s water shortage woes

Published

on

The government will provide €3 million of funding over the next two years to help hotels build their own desalination plants.

Cyprus said Wednesday it plans to subsidise the construction of private desalination plants at hotels to ensure the tourism-reliant island nation has enough fresh water to see it through busy summer seasons.

The demands of millions of visitors put a severe strain on dwindling reserves.

Water levels across the country’s 108 dams are at alarmingly low following the second-driest winter in a decade, and the national water supply network is struggling to cope due to demand and leaks.

Maria Panayiotou, the country’s agriculture and environment minister, said the government will provide €3 million of funding over the next two years to help hotels build their own desalination plants.

In addition, measures will be introduced to make it easier and faster for key sectors, such as agriculture and tourism, to build small-scale desalination plants.

Cyprus will spend a further €8 million on fixing pipe infrastructure to reduce water leaks and losses which are estimated as high as 40 per cent, according to Panayiotou.

Cyprus already has four permanent desalination plants

The government measures build on Cyprus’s growing reliance on desalinated water. Four additional mobile desalination plants are scheduled to become operational in October, producing 30,000 cubic metres of drinkable water daily.

Cyprus already has four permanent desalination plants in operation, each producing 235,000 cubic metres of fresh water daily. A fifth plant is out of action due to a fire.

Panayiotou said last December that more desalination plants are needed to increase daily fresh water production fourfold over the next decade.

Cyprus continues to rely on an extensive dam network with a total capacity of 330 million cubic metres.

Cyprus has more dams relative to its population than any other country in Europe, according to the minister. The dams are currently at 24.6 per cent of capacity, compared with 47.2 per cent in 2024, official figures show.

Tourism accounts for 13.5 per cent of Cyprus’ gross domestic product. Tourist arrivals last year exceeded 4 million, setting a new record.

Author

  • Daniela Daecher

    Daniela Daecher is a twenty-something bookworm and coffee addict with a passion for geeking out over sci fi, tv, movies, and books. In 2013 she completed her BA in English with a specialization in Linguistics. In 2014 she completed her MA in Linguistics, focusing on the relationship between language and communication in written form. She currently lives in Munich, Germany.

Continue Reading

Travel

‘We expect respect’: Bali cracks down on ‘naughty’ tourists with strict new rules

Published

on

Bali’s mayor has warned that some transgressions could be met with legal consequences.

Bali has introduced a series of new guidelines for tourists in a bid to clamp down on inappropriate behaviour.

Authorities say the strict measures aim to safeguard the Indonesian island’s cultural integrity and sacred sites.

The rules cover clothing and behaviour when visiting temples and religious complexes, including prohibiting menstruating women from entering.

The mayor has warned that some transgressions could be met with legal consequences under Indonesian law.

New guidelines to regulate foreign tourists while in Bali

The new regulations were issued by Bali governor I Wayan Koster on 24 March.

“We issued a similar regulation before, but as things change, we need to adapt. This ensures that Bali’s tourism remains respectful, sustainable, and in harmony with our local values,” Koster said.

The guidelines focus on ensuring respectful behaviour when visiting sacred sites and enforcing the payment of Bali’s tourist levy.

They also oblige tourists to use licensed guides and accommodation, follow traffic laws and exchange currency at authorised outlets.

“I am implementing this circular as an immediate measure to regulate foreign tourists while they are in Bali,” Koster added.

New rules ban inappropriate photos and single-use plastics

The new rules require tourists to wear modest and respectful clothing and to “behave respectfully whether at religious sites, restaurants, shopping areas, or public roads”.

Visitors are banned from swearing, causing disturbances, or being rude to locals, officials, or fellow tourists. The mayor also said that “sharing hate speech or misinformation on social media is also prohibited”.

Other outlawed activities include entering sacred temple areas without permission, littering, and working without permits.

Single-use plastics, including plastic bags, styrofoam, plastic straws, and plastic-packaged drinks, are also banned.

Under the new guidelines, foreign tourists “should observe and honour Balinese customs, traditions, and cultural practices, especially during ceremonies” and “dress appropriately when visiting temples, tourist attractions, or public spaces”.

In addition, foreign visitors are not permitted to “enter sacred temple areas unless they are worshippers wearing traditional Balinese attire”. The directive adds that “menstruating women are also prohibited from entering these areas”.

Tourists are also not allowed to climb sacred trees or monuments or take inappropriate or nude photos at religious sites.

Tourists who fail to pay visitor levy face legal consequences

Last February, Bali introduced a one-time entry fee of 150,000 Indonesian rupiah (€9) for international visitors to fund conservation efforts.

As part of the new guidelines, “tourists who fail to pay the tourist levy will be denied access to attractions, and those caught violating the regulations will face legal consequences in accordance with Indonesian law”.

Recently, Balinese officials floated a daily tourist tax similar to the $100 (€95) Sustainable Development Fee that Bhutan charges most international visitors.

‘We expect our guests to show the same respect that we extend to them’

The directive comes just a few days before Nyepi – a sacred holiday known as the day of silence – on 29 March. The festival sees the island come to a standstill for 24 hours, requiring everyone, including tourists, to stay indoors.

“We have prepared a special team to conduct an operation. Foreign tourists who are naughty will be immediately dealt with firmly,” Koster was quoted as saying by local newspaper The Bali Sun.

He added that the island’s civil service police unit will be monitoring tourist behaviour and ensuring compliance with the new regulations.

“Bali is a beautiful, sacred island, and we expect our guests to show the same respect that we extend to them,” Koster said.

Author

  • Daniela Daecher

    Daniela Daecher is a twenty-something bookworm and coffee addict with a passion for geeking out over sci fi, tv, movies, and books. In 2013 she completed her BA in English with a specialization in Linguistics. In 2014 she completed her MA in Linguistics, focusing on the relationship between language and communication in written form. She currently lives in Munich, Germany.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2023 EuroTimes