Sports
‘Mentally devastated’: Rafael Nadal withdraws from Australian Open due to injury

No. The No.1 seed Nadal suffered a left hip injury and lost to Mackenzie McDonald in the second round of Wednesday’s tournament 6-4 6-4 7-5.
Rafa Nadal, the defending champion, was forced to withdraw from the Australian Open second-round on Wednesday, after aggravating his hip injury during a 6-4 6-4 7-5 loss to Mackenzie McDonald. This is the latest in a long line of injuries for the Spaniard at Melbourne Park.
The men’s draw has been thrown into disarray by the elimination of Nadal. Novak Djokovic, who is nine times champion, can now draw level with Nadal on 22 major titles if he wins a 10th title in Australia.
Nadal injured his left hip running for a backhand during the second set of the Rod Laver Arena match. After a trainer inspected him, Nadal went off court for a medical break.
He returned to the court grim-faced, but his movement, especially on his backhand, was clearly affected. McDonald ended the Spaniard’s bid for a 3rd Australian Open title.
Nadal admitted that his hip had been bothering him for a few days, but not to the extent it was during the match on Wednesday.
He told reporters, “I don’t really know what is going on. I don’t even know if (it’s) a muscle or a joint.”
“I have hip problems in the past.” I had to treat it in the past. It was not a problem of this magnitude. “I feel like I can’t move.”
Nadal had to retire from his quarter-final match against Marin Cilic in the fifth game of the 2018 Australian Open due to a hip injury.
McDonald, a hard-hitting American, had won the first set before Nadal’s collapse on Wednesday. He went toe-to toe with the 36 year-old Mallorcan, and won most of the baseline battles.
McDonald wiped out any demons that remained from their previous meeting in 2020, when Nadal thrashed him in straight sets at the French Open.
“He is an incredible champion. He will never give up, no matter what the situation. So even closing out a top man like that can be tough,” said McDonald.
“I was trying so hard to stay focused on what I did and he got me out of it with what he did.”
Feisty Spaniard returned, but it wasn’t enough
Nadal was greeted with a loud ovation when he returned to the court following his time out. He also received more cheers for holding serve.
His gloomy face told the story. He refused to retrieve a dropped shot in the next match, shaking his head and looking at his entourage.
McDonald won the second set after Nadal smashed a forehand in the net and thudded the racket against his chair when the ends changed.
McDonald sprinted forward to flick the passing shot past him.
Nadal made a desperate last stand to save the match, but it was not to be a repeat of his “Miracle of Melbourne” last year when he beat Daniil Medidev after coming back from 2-0 down in the classic final.
Nadal has suffered more than his fair share of heartache in the first Grand Slam of the year, even though the 2022 final is likely to be one of his finest moments.
In 2010, he had to withdraw from the quarter-final match against Andy Murray, despite trailing 6-3 7-6 3-1. This was due to a serious knee injury which kept him out for a whole month.
He was hampered by a back injury during the final of 2014 against Stan Wawrinka. He lost that match in four sets.
Nadal said that he had considered retiring from the match against McDonald but wanted to finish it as a defending champion.
Even though he said he had nothing to complain about, the latest injury still hurt.
“Sometimes, you feel super tired when it comes to all these injuries,” he said.
“I can’t lie and say that I’m not mentally destroyed at this time.”
Sports
Trapani Shark leads the way, Jasmin Repesa reveals the secret

Jasmin Repesa, coach of the Trapani Shark, gave a lengthy interview to ‘La Gazzetta dello Sport’. “I came here to challenge myself, because there was a very young, very ambitious project – he began -. A city that likes basketball, a president who provided an important budget, and a fan base that made us feel their support right away. And the team has responded well on the court. I am satisfied with what we have done so far”.
The newly promoted Granata are currently first in the LBA standings, along with Brescia and Virtus Bologna: “I never thought that far ahead. But I was confident. I am convinced that there is everything, or almost everything, to be very competitive, we have proven it. We are a team that can play good basketball, and we have become one of the most entertaining. People want to see basketball like we are playing”.
“Team success comes first – added the Croatian coach. “We have embraced this philosophy from day one, with so many players who have been real stars in the past at different clubs. It is the only way if we want to be really competitive”.
“There are six games left and the playoffs will be another competition. Surprises can always happen, it depends on a thousand factors: how you get there, whether you have luck or bad luck, whether there are injuries or not. We just have to keep improving and growing. In the season finale we have strong opponents waiting for us, with much more experience, much more tradition, but certainly not hungrier than us. Our advantage is having so many players who have made themselves available for the common result. This is our strength” Repesa concluded.
Sports
Milan-Inter: Conceiçao with a doubt, Inzaghi changes six

Milan and Inter face each other at 9 p.m. at the ‘Meazza’ in the first leg match of the Coppa Italia semifinal. After Bologna’s clear away victory over Empoli (3-0) with which it mortgaged the final, it will be the turn of the Nerazzurri and Rossoneri to challenge each other in the fourth Milan derby of the season.
Sergio Conceiçao starts again with Leao: the Portuguese will be back as a starter in the Rossoneri’s three-quarter, with Pulisic and one between Jimenez and Musah, with the former ahead in the ballot. In attack, Abraham is ahead of Gimenez for a shirt from the 1′.
Made choices in midfield, formed by Fofana and Reijnders, and in defense where Gabbia and Thiaw will play, with Walker and Theo Hernandez acting as full-backs, while Maignan will be in goal.
Simone Inzaghi, on the other hand, changes as many as six players from the challenge with Udinese, starting with the goalkeeper. Between the posts, in fact, there will be Josep Martinez in front of a revolutionized defense that will see the presence of Bisseck, De Vrij and Bastoni.
The goalkeeper will be Josep Martinez.
In the midfield, Asllani is disqualified: confirmation for Calhanoglu in the direction, assisted by Frattesi and Barella. In attack, with Lautaro Martinez and Taremi out, chance for Correa from 1′, paired with Thuram.
Sports
NBA, Steph Curry and Nikola Jokic show: Memphis knockout, Minnesota no

In the NBA night seven games were staged. At the FedExForum in Memphis, Steph Curry’s show with his 52 points (12 threes made) dragged the Golden State Warriors to victory over the Memphis Grizzlies (134-125).
At the Denver Nuggets, however, a stellar Nikola Jokic’s 61 points, 11 rebounds, and 10 assists was not enough, earning him his 31st triple-double of the season. In fact, at Ball Arena, it was the Minnesota Timberwolves who won, in the second overtime, 140-139.
The Milwaukee Bucks took advantage of Kevin Durant’s absence and beat the Phoenix Suns (133-123) thanks to the usual Giannis Antetokounmpo, author of 37 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists. It was also all easy for the New York Knicks who folded the Philadelphia 76ers (105-91) thanks to Og Anuoby’s 27 points off the bench.
Finally, the Portland Trail Blazers, Chicago Bulls and Orlando Magic also win: the former beat the Atlanta Hawks (127-113), the latter overcame the Toronto Raptors (137-118), and the latter knocked out the San Antonio Spurs (116-105) thanks to 24 points from Paolo Banchero.
-
Politics7 days ago
Getting EU ready to prevent and respond to crises
-
EU & the World7 days ago
Could Litia Garr Be the Next Bachelorette? Update After Grant Ellis Breakup
-
EU & the World6 days ago
Innam Dustgir’s Approach to Public Relations
-
Politics7 days ago
Survey confirms Europe’s citizens want the EU to protect them and act in unity | News
-
EU & the World7 days ago
Who Is Tulsi Gabbard? 5 Things to Know About the Director of National Intelligence
-
Travel7 days ago
Cyprus is funding desalination plants for hotels to tackle tourism’s water shortage woes
-
Politics7 days ago
Kaja Kallas Stresses EU’s Role in Israel-Palestine Crisis During Visit to Tel Aviv
-
EU & the World7 days ago
Cindyana Santangelo’s Kids: About the Late ‘Married With Children’ Star’s Family